When it comes time to make a big change in your kitchen, purchasing the wrong appliance can make meal prep inconvenient for years to come. That’s why we want to help you make the best decision for your home if it’s time to replace your current oven. Use this guide to learn everything you need to know about double ovens!
What Is a Double Oven?
A double oven is exactly what it sounds like — two ovens integrated into one range. Most models have a roomy main oven as the base with a secondary small oven or grill sitting on top. The advantages of a double oven are the separate cooking compartments that allow you to cook different types of food at the same time. When preparing a meal, this gives you more flexibility and saves time on cooking time.
Double ovens ranges are roughly the same size as single ovens. How is this possible? The two ovens are combined into the standard 30-inch range by removing the storage drawer that you would usually find on a single oven.
Let’s dive a little further into the pros and cons of a double oven, so you can determine whether this is a worthwhile investment for your kitchen.
Advantages of a Double Oven
- Increased Cooking Capabilities: By far, the biggest advantage of a double oven is the ability to cook multiple dishes at once. Since each oven can function independently, you can cook two meals at different temperatures or use different techniques, such as broiling vs. grilling. If your smaller top oven has a confectionary setting, you can make dessert and dinner at the same time. At the very least, one oven can be used to keep food warm while the rest of the meal finished cooking in the other. The possibilities that a double oven offers are endless!
- Large Capacity: Most single wall ovens come with a bottom storage drawer. By eliminating this drawer and replacing it with a second oven, you have more room for cooking. Some double oven models can provide even more capacity with two equally-sized compartments.
Disadvantages of a Double Oven
- Cost: Kitchen appliances aren’t cheap, to begin with, but a double wall oven is one of the more expensive options you’ll come across. If you do a lot of cooking at home or are upgrading a commercial kitchen, then it’s better to get a double oven than two single ovens.
- Installation: As mentioned above, most double ovens are available in standard range sizes. Certain models, however, may require you to sacrifice a bit of kitchen space if they are too big to fit in your current wall space.
- Loss of Storage: If you’re one of the few people who makes good use of the storage space found a the bottom of a single oven, this is a feature you will miss when you upgrade.
Comparing Double Oven vs. Two Single Ovens
Is it better to get a double oven or two single ovens? At the end of the day, they each perform the same job and help you cut down on your cooking time. Which options you should choose depends on a lot of factors, such as the size of your kitchen, the amount of cooking space you need, your budget, etc.
The advantages of a double oven far outweigh those of two single ovens in terms of cost, installation space, and convenience. For example, investing in one high-quality double oven is cheaper than purchasing two single ovens. It’s also easier and faster to install one double oven — not to mention space-saving. Unless you have a huge kitchen, you will have to sacrifice a lot of space to fit two single ovens in one room.
A double oven can also accommodate larger items, like turkey, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to cook your favorite holiday meal.
Is a Double Oven Worth It?
Yes! Those who have a large family and need a larger oven to cook dinner every night love the advantages that a double oven has to offer.
Invest in a New Gas or Electric Oven With Appliance Doctors
Whether your current oven has bit the dust or you’re planning to renovate your kitchen, Appliance Doctors has a selection of high-quality appliances from top manufacturers for you to choose from. If you’re not sure whether it’s worth upgrading to a double oven, ask one of our friendly technicians for help. We’ll help you determine whether it’s better to get a double oven or two single ovens based on your kitchen’s needs. Call us to learn more about oven installation and replacements!